Friday, September 26, 2008

Dave Chappelle on Inside the Actors Studio


Dave Chappelle On Inside The Actors Studio

Hilarious moments, inspiring strategies and excellent observations.

on transmuting 'failure'
And that was the best thing that ever happened to me, because before that time I never bombed... That night was liberating because I failed so beyond my wildest nightmares of failing that it was like "hey, they're all booing, my friends are here watching, my mom, this is not that bad," and after that I was fearless. To get into the NY comedy circuit - is very closed circuit, and I got into all these clubs, in like a week, two weeks. Like, just reputation "have you seen this kid, have you seen this kid..."

Africa
David Chappelle: My dad takes me outside and he's like "listen," and this is some advice that applies to all you acting students, he says "to be an actor is a lonely life, everybody wants to make it and you might not make it" and I said to my dad "Well that depends on what making it is dad," smartass kid, "that depends on what making it is dad," he says "what do you mean?" I said "You're a teacher, if I can make a teacher's salary doing comedy, I think that's better than being a teacher," and he started laughing and he said "if you keep that attitude I think you should go," he said: "but name your price... in the beginning, if it ever gets more expensive than the price you name, get out of there" thus Africa. *laughter & applause* Oh man, you guys are gonna learn a lot tonight.
James Lipton: What can they learn?
David Chappelle: You know you guys are students now, so you're idealists, but you don't know about where art and corporate interests meet yet, just prepare to have your heart broken.
James Lipton: Hahaha.
David Chappelle: You see him laughing that evil laugh hahaha, because he knows man. And everybody laughs at me, but just, get your Africa tickets ready baby because it sucks. You have no idea.

Here's a quote the conspiracy community will eat up
David Chappelle: When we did Blue Streak, we were promoting it and Martin had a stroke. He almost died, and then after that I saw him and I was like "oh my god Martin, are you ok?", and he said "I got the best sleep I ever got in my life" that's how tough he is. So let me ask you this: What is happening in Hollywood that a guy that tough will be on the street waving a gun, screaming "they are trying to kill me" what's going on? Why is Dave Chappelle going to Africa? Why does Mariah Carey make a 100 million dollar deal and take her clothes off on TRL? It's just- A weak person can not get to sit here and talk to you, ain't no weak people talking to you. So what is happening in Hollywood, nobody knows. The worst thing to call somebody is crazy, it's dismissive, "I don't understand this person, so they're crazy" - that's bullshit. These people are not crazy, they're strong people, maybe their environment is a little sick. *applause and crowd goes wild*

About his father's death
"That's when I bought the farm, which I call the "Fuck you Hollywood Farm"... Look man at that point in your life, it's something so real in contrast to what Hollywood is, a very powerful illusion, and when your dad dies it kinda just broke the spell, oh this is bullshit."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave said his inspiration was a white rabbit named Bugs Bunny, B.B. whom he followed done the rabbit hole to find the cosmic giggle.

Anonymous said...

Saddest thing in this interview is the fact that people laugh when he is talking SERIOUSLY about real subjects within the community. Like the crack epidemic.



PEACE

Dedroidify said...

Hehe James

Yeah Corbeau, it seems at times they thought they were listening to the character instead of the man, and they're actors themselves.

peace

Saint Santiago said...

I remember this seeing this episode. It proved to me unequivocally that Dave was NOT crazy. He ran into the dark side of success and the satanic corporate greed that came with it. Dave was a breath away from selling his soul to Comedy Central and he literally fled for his life.

His father's words saved his life.

Benjamin S said...

Very interesting stuff [on Martin Lawrence in particular), always loved Chappelle Show, the first 2 seasons anyway. Also I echo previous comments, cheers.