Saturday, April 19, 2008

New X-Files movie: I want to Believe


X-Files: I want to believe teaser trailer

The Secret Sun linked 2 great vids of Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz from the X-files responding to questions of fans, including Christopher from Secret Sun, see if you can spot his question - I did!

"I want to believe." is the title of the new movie.
I love the X-Files, but - from a worst case perspective - this poster slogan I find rather bold & ignorant. Not to use 'belief' (which divides - ok it unites too, but only those who believe the same as you - and filters) but even worse, making people 'want to believe'. (Though redeemingly in the trailer they say "there are beliefs that cannot be trusted")

A whole other level of confirmation bias:

which is the concept of filtering out info that doesn't agree with your BS (belief system) and only accepting what confirms previous assumptions. I find this slogan could be a big reason for a lot of ignorance in the UFO & alien researching community.

'Believe' nothing, explore everything!

No comments: